Monday, June 9, 2014

Week 1- Monday June 2nd - Monday June 9th‏

 Dear Family and Friends,

I've learned on my mission and in the few days upon return thereof that even though we leave friends who we may consider family, home is where the heart is. Being the poetic representation of where my desires and where the pure love of genealogical tides rest. Those who may have been left behind for a short season weather in Vegas or in Pueblo, I know I will see them again because of their spiritual ties I found with them.

This first week home has been great. It's not as weird as I was expecting. Upon seeing my family (which took an 8a.m. flight to Salt Lake and a layover until 3:40 to fly to Colorado Springs to finally see them) I met my Mom, Dad, Sister, her husband, my niece, and another niece that I've never met before! I had to say, "who is this?"

My parents then drove me to the Stake Presidents house to be released. As we were sitting talking I was just waiting for those words "you can take off your badge". That experience was rough but I'm content with knowing that I worked hard on the mission and that I did all I was supposed to.

Since my parents moved to Firestone, North Denver, it is extremely hard to go visit people in Pueblo (being a two and a half hour drive) so my some members of the ward put together a 'ward get together' at the pueblo west chapel. It was so kind of them and so exciting to see everyone! Some say I look older but I have my doubts :)

Then the next day my brothers and sisters started to trickle in. My brother and his family, my sister and her family... to save on time all my siblings came to stay a few days. It was great to have them here and to meet my new nieces/nephews. It was very thoughtful for all of them to travel as far as they did to come down. We were able to have good time to talk and share experiences. I'm still the 'baby' but its nice to also be considered an adult haha.

Saturday morning we hit some garage sales in Firestone then we all drove down to Pueblo and went on some kiddie rides for the grand-kids.  Its so fun to see their faces light up when they get on the rides! I went on a ride with one of my sisters kids and it was a pretty rough ride for a kiddie ride. At first she was really tensed up and seemed really scared. But after the first go around she seemed to enjoy it and calm down a little (with a little help from me holding her).

Currently I'm trying to stay busy, which isn't hard because of everything I have to do. I signed up for classes at BYU-I this morning. Yesterday I was pretty stressed, making sure I got all the right classes and everything. Its great to already have an associate degree so I just have to worry about classes that deal with my real degree. That only means the classes are way more difficult, but at least I don't feel like I'm wasting time. I'm also trying to find a job; currently filling out a profile for the LDS Employment Center.
I've also changed my major to a Bachelor of Science with a Human Biology emphasis; keeping my options open. Its going to be really tough but I'm going to use my study skills and memorization skills from the mission! Time for normal life application of the things I've learned.

Well I haven't had as many spiritual experiences as I've had in previous weeks, but its all good.
Keep the Faith!
Devin John

"The acceptance of the reality that we are in the Lords loving hands is only a recognition that we have never really been anywhere else." - Neal A. Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment