Monday, January 28, 2013

January 28, 2013

Dear Family,
This week has been great! We got a new investigator in our ysa ward and she accepted to be baptized so tonight we are going to try to set her with a date to be baptized.
I have really strengthened my knowledge of how prayer works, this week. I bought a small note book that I keep in my pocket and I write down things that I need to pray for. It has helped my see the things I need and has helped me see the blessings that come from obeying the commandments. Often the blessings we receive would have happened anyway but the thing about praying for them is that we can recognize that is is a blessing and we can learn a lesson from it. I am so grateful for prayer, not aligning Gods will to us, but aligning our will to Gods.
So we had a funny experience when we were visiting less active members. We have heard that this guy is a cowboy and has a drinking problem and that he is hostile. so we go and drive a couple of neighbors houses away from him. we knock on his door, expecting to get yelled at. he answers the door and says hey come on in! you guys hungry? so ya it was pretty funny. turns out he is going to another ward and some rumors have started, but he is awesome!
oh and another hilarious story! So we went to mission prep class this last Tuesday and the teacher had a student cover their eyes and hold out their hand. the teacher asked, "will you pray everyday?". -yes. so the teacher gave the student a piece of candy. then the teacher continued to ask questions and if the response was yes they got a piece of candy. so this object lesson demonstrated faith and when we get blessings its easier to keep more commandments... ok so the next day we were teaching this lady we have been meeting with for a while. we are talking about faith and I say hold out your hand and cover your eyes... she was reluctant but she proceeded to do so. Then I asked her if she would pray daily, she said she already does... so I gave her a piece of candy. she looked at it and was very confused. then I had her shut her eyes again and asked her if she would read her scriptures.. then she yells at me and says, "No, this is not how God works. he is not in this candy. I'll keep my piece of candy but don't give me anymore. thats not how it works." so i try and say 'no we didn't mean it like that we are just trying to demonstrate how faith works, God isn't really going to give us candy." then she yells at me some more and says that I need to be more patient. but i was just trying to explain that God really didn't work that way... but the good news is she is still meeting with us and things are going well haha its hilarious. I prayed for patience that night :)
sorry not a lot has happened this week but things are going really well and hopefully our investigators will continue to progress!
Love you all!
Love,
Elder John

No comments:

Post a Comment